I’m not sure if it is because my classes are reading and analyzing dystopian novels, or if it is because I am living through what feels like a real apocalyptic time period in history, but my optimism tank is empty. What I need is refueling, some high octane positivity to replace the burning unease taking root in the pit of my stomach.
It is time for a sunnier disposition intervention which begins with a deliberate examination of…
- The bright sunshine, warm against my face, as I exited through the double doors.
- Blasting U2’s “Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World” during my commute.
- Copies of today’s handouts stacked on my desk when I arrived this morning, thanks to my generous colleague.
- An impromptu visit from my mom this afternoon. A special delivery: honey roasted peanut butter (my favorite)!
- New sandals for the beach trip in three weeks.
- Anticipation of watching more NCAA basketball this weekend. Go Sweet Sixteen!
- Plans to see old friends at a new coffee joint.
- Confidence that I will laugh tomorrow, deep and guttural. (Even though today it seems impossible).
Today’s slice was inspired by Elisabeth Ellington’s slice (The Dirigible Plum). Thank goodness for this community of writers. Otherwise I may not have found the energy boost to post a slice of myself.